December 2000


Thursday, December 14, 2000 

Notre Dame Room, LaFortune Student Center 
Present: Debra Bennett, Dona Coggins, Deb Fox, Norma Frost, Connie Gard, Steve Gibson, Rita Grontkowski, Wanda Lansford, Bobbi McMahon, Lou Parks, Sue Penrod, Maria Pozzi, Marv Pruett, Samantha Qualls, Valerie Schroeder, Marcy Simons, Kathy Stopczynski, Leona Strickland, and Melodie Wise. 
Absent: Beverly Harbor, Kay Herrity, Pam Jobin, Norma Mezykowski, Nancy Mitchell, Terron Phillips, Doris Smuda, Fred Sonneborn, and Cindi Sykes. 
HR Liaisons: Sarah Misener and Pam Zarazee. 
Melodie Wise, Chair called the meeting to order at 1:08 p.m. 
Sarah Misener thanked the Council for all of their time and effort in participating in the Staff Advisory Council over the past year. On behalf of the Department of Human Resources, Sarah gave each Council member a small token of appreciation for all of their efforts in serving on the Council. Sarah wished all the Council members a joyous holiday season. 
I. Approval of the Thursday, November 16, 2000 minutes
Pam Zarazee explained to the Council that the minutes are being completed and will be sent out next week for both the November and December meetings. 
II. Committee Reports 
- Executive Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
- Elections Committee 
Deb Fox stated that the Council representative from District #23, the Food Service Support Facility, has resigned from the Council. Deb explained that this district is up for reelection in January since it is an odd numbered district. The Council will hold off on this district until the January election. 
- Promotion Committee 
Melodie Wise stated that the last meeting was held in October. The committee discussed the idea of having an "open meeting" sometime next spring. The "open meeting" would consist of having each Council member bring one person from their district to observe how the Council meetings are conducted. The guest would not have speaking rights, just be in the room to observe how the Council conducts their regular Council meetings. The Council member would solicit interested nonexempt staff from their districts through the appropriate communication channel and if more than one person is interested, the Council member will draw one name randomly. The committee also discussed the idea of having Human Resources send out a letter to the supervisor of the guest who would be invited to observe the meeting. 
The next item this committee discussed was the suggestion to recognize nonexempt staff who has obtained a specific award or accomplishment. This information could be sent by a nonexempt staff member to any Council member and then an article would be done to recognize the individual in the StaffNews. 
Melodie also shared that this committee received some feedback from nonexempt staff who were surprised to see that the Council did not have a booth at the Lifestyle & Benefits Fair in October. The feedback given was that this fair would have been a great place for the Staff Advisory Council to get more publicity and educate employees on the purpose of the Council. 
- Parking Committee 
Nothing to report at the present time. 
- Parking Appeals Committee 
Samantha Qualls reported that there have been two meetings held in the last month. She stated that there is nothing new to report at this time. 
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues 
Marcy Simons stated that the ad-hoc committee on women's issues is currently preparing a proposal to address the issues of the committee as they move forward into the future. 
Marcy added that the November presentation was attended by 93 employees of the University. Marcy stated that the December speaker was cancelled due to the inclement weather on Monday, December 11, 2000. The ad-hoc committee on women's issues would like to try and reschedule this speaker at the beginning of the year. In addition, the next presentation will be held on February 15, 2001, will feature, Dr. Jennifer Younger, Director, University Libraries. 
Marcy also informed the Council that the Women's Fair will be held March 14, 2001. 
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Drug Testing 
Rita Grontkowski stated that there are three sub-committees presently gathering information for this ad-hoc committee. This committee will be making a recommendation on drug testing in the near future. Leona Strickland added that if any Council member has any input on drug testing at the University, they are encouraged to contact any of the Council members which are Terron Phillips, Leona Strickland, Deb Bennett, and Rita Grontkowski. 
- Ad-Hoc Redistricting Committee 
Melodie Wise stated that this ad-hoc committee met and suggested a couple of ideas. The first suggestion was that District #21 (North Dining Hall) and #23 (Food Service Support Facility) add a second person that would be available to represent the second/third shift to be more available to non-exempt staff. Another suggestion would be for The Hammes Bookstore, District #25 be added to District #24 (NITA), since Melodie Wise would be willing to communicate with these nonexempt staff members. The Council had a lengthy discussion on the redistricting issue. Melodie encouraged any Council member to share their views and opinions on redistricting to this ad-hoc committee. The committee members include Melodie Wise, Deb Fox, Leona Strickland, and Sue Penrod. 
Valerie Schroeder made a motion that District #24 be absorbed by District #25. The motion was seconded by Debbie Bennett. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
Valerie Schroeder made a motion to move to have a special meeting held prior to the January meeting to discuss redistricting. The motion was seconded by Norma Frost. A discussion took place and the Council felt that a special meeting was not necessary. The Council decided to have the redistricting issue addressed at the January 2001 Council meeting and that no special meeting would be necessary. 
- Web Page Update 
Samantha Qualls stated that she would be adding the October 19, 2000 Special meeting minutes to the web page. 
- StaffNews Article 
Nothing to report at this time. 
III. Discussion of Anonymous letter sent to Rich Nugent
Sarah Misener read the anonymous letter aloud to the Council. The Council had a discussion regarding this letter. The Council decided to table this discussion until the January 11, 2001 meeting. 
IV. By-Law Amendment for Article VIII-D
Melodie Wise stated that there has been a suggestion that a quorum shall be defined in the by-laws under Article VIII-D as those members in attendance at a regularly scheduled or special meeting. The Council had a discussion on the suggestion. Maria Pozzi made a motion to leave the by-laws unchanged. Bobbi McMahon seconded this motion. A vote was taken and fourteen Council members were in favor of this motion. One Council member obstained. 
V. Employee Forum Information 
Sarah Misener shared with the Council that employee forums will be held in January, February, and March. The employee forum meetings will include one, one hour meeting with 30 randomly selected nonexempt staff invited and one, one hour meeting with 30 randomly selected exempt staff invited. A memo addressed to all nonexempt and exempt staff explaining the purpose and process of the employee forums will be going in campus mail this week. Invitations will be going out next with the first set of meetings to be held the week of January 8, 2001. Meetings have been scheduled at various locations across campus. 
The employee forums will be hosted by Rich Nugent, Assistant Vice President for Human Resources; Sarah Misener, Director, Employee Relations and Training & Development; Rita Winsor, Director, Benefits and Compensation; Mary Pat Farnand, Human Resource Generalist and Training & Development Specialist will be the coordinator. The format for the employee forums will include the above individuals coming with a general topic to begin discussion on a certain item and then allow the employees present to ask any questions or discuss any issue that they would like addressed. Human Resources will evaluate the format of these meetings after the first quarter and determine at that point how to go forward. Sarah Misener explained to the Council that if any questions come up regarding the employee forums to contact her. 
VI. Set Agenda for Thursday, January 11, 2001 
I. Approval of the Thursday, November 16, 2000 and Thursday, December 14, 2000 minutes. 
II. Committee Reports 
III. Redistricting Discussion 
IV. Communication within Districts 
V. Dave Prentkowski - Meal Plans 
VI. Set the Agenda for the February 22, 2001 meeting 
VII. Miscellaneous 
A Council member shared the concern that during inclement weather employees are not sure how the University closing will be communicated. Sarah Misener stated that a number of methods are being looked at to address this concern. The methods include communicating via the University web site, a voice mailbox, blanket voice mails and blanket emails. Sarah stated that the main goal is to get the information out as quickly and timely as possible for all employee's. 
Sarah notified the Council that the Staff Employee Guidebook is currently at the printer. The distribution for the guidebook is being targeted for late January. 
A Council member asked if the University will be getting any more flu shots since the supply ran out during the scheduled distribution. Sarah Misener stated that at the present time no more flu shots have been scheduled, and that questions on availability can be directed to Health Services. 
Melodie Wise wished everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 
Deb Bennett made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 3:04 p.m. Connie Gard seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
Promotion Committee