October 2000


Thursday, October 12, 2000 

Notre Dame Room, LaFortune Student Center 
1 p.m. to 3 p.m. 
Present: Deb Bennett, Deb Fox, Connie Gard, Steve Gibson, Rita Grontkowski, Beverly Harbor, Pam Jobin, Bobbi McMahon, Norma Mezykowski, Nancy Mitchell, Lou Parks, Maria Pozzi, Samantha Qualls, Valerie Schroeder, Marcy Simons, Fred Sonneborn, Kathleen Stopczynski, Leona Strickland, and Melodie Wise. 
Absent: Dona Coggins, Norma Frost, Kay Herrity, Sue Penrod, Terron Phillips, Marv Pruett, Doris Smuda, and Cindi Sykes District #22 and District # 25 are currently unrepresented. District #21 is in the process of an election. 
HR Liaisons: Sarah Misener and Pam Zarazee. 
Melodie Wise, Chair called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m. Melodie welcomed Steve Gibson to the Council. Steve is the new district representative for District #1. 
Melodie informed the Council that the information for Open Enrollment is not quite ready. Melodie mentioned that the Council is planning to have a special meeting in the next two weeks to present the Open Enrollment information. The information regarding this special meeting will be sent out by the end of the week. Melodie encouraged all Council members to attend this meeting. A Council member expressed the need to have a hand-out for SAC Reps to refer to when communicating with constituents. Sarah Misener noted that she would discuss this possibility with Rita Winsor. 
I. Approval of the Thursday, September 21, 2000 Minutes 
A Council member recommended the following change in the minutes: 
_ Under the StaffNews Article column in the first sentence, the words be the should be deleted. 
Samantha Qualls made a motion to accept the minutes with the above change. Bobbi McMahon seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor. 
II. Retirement Letter Draft 
Melodie Wise passed around a new draft of the retirement letter to the University Administration from the Council. Melodie asked the Council to review the letter and make any suggestions. A discussion took place and the changes were noted. Melodie will update the letter and send it to each Council member. Valerie Schroeder made a motion to submit the letter with the noted changes and Rita Grontkowski seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor. 
III. Prepare for Fr. Timothy Scully, C.S.C., Executive Vice President Visit 
Melodie Wise asked the Council for any more input they have on what they would like Fr. Scully to address at the November meeting. The following topics were noted: 
_ The Promotion/Transfer Process 
_ Position Descriptions 
_ The future for the Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues 
_ Increase Costs for healthcare insurance 
_ Fr. Scully's view on drug testing 
_ Fr. Scully's view on how the budget concerns may affect the salary increases for the future 
The Council suggested having the November meeting start off with some social time and then have an open forum type meeting with Fr. Scully to discuss the above issues. The Council suggested having the minutes approved and committee reports updated at the Special meeting. 
IV. Committee Reports 
- Executive Committee 
Melodie Wise sent around an updated copy of the by-laws. The Council utilized this time as the third reading of the changes to the by-laws regarding the position of Secretary/Treasurer. Maria Pozzi informed the Council that the budget for the Council is $1,500.00 Deb Bennett made a motion to accept these changes in the by-laws. Pam Jobin seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
- Elections Committee 
Deb Fox stated that District #21 will be represented by Wanda Lansford. 
- Promotion Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. Melodie Wise stated that the committee will meet before the next meeting and will be discussing the idea of having nonexempt staff attend a Council meeting. 
- Parking Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
- Parking Appeals Committee 
Sarah Misener, reported to the Council that the Parking Appeals Committee would like two nonexempt staff representatives from the Council to serve on this committee. Norma Mezykowski volunteered to serve on this committee. Samantha Qualls is the other member. 
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues 
Marcy Simons shared with the Council that the October Lunch & Learn will be a tour of the Stadium (including the locker room and press box) from 12:15 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. on Thursday, October 26th. A special thanks to Mike Danch, Director of Athletic Facilities for assisting in making the event possible. The November Lunch & Learn will be held on the Thursday, November 2nd and the topic will be ATaking Care of Aging Family Members@. This ad-hoc committee is currently discussing ideas for the December meeting. The Council shared possible ideas for the December meeting. 
Marcy also shared that the second lecture has been scheduled for the four part series on notable women at Notre Dame to be held on Wednesday, November 8th and will feature Carol Kaesebier, Vice President and General Counsel. The program will be held in the Monogram Room. Marcy stated that flyers were being distributed this week. 
Marcy added that the Women's Fair is scheduled for Wednesday, March 14, 2001. Information will be forthcoming. 
Marcy stated that 14 nominations had been received to fill the two openings for the Ad-Hoc Committee on Women=s Issues. The names were randomly drawn and Pam Zarazee will verify the eligibility and the volunteers will then be notified. 
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Drug Testing 
Nothing to report at this time. 
- Ad-Hoc Redistricting Committee 
Melodie Wise stated that this ad-hoc committee met and would like the Council to go back to their districts and ask how district members feel about the present configuration of their district. In addition, ask the district members if they have any suggestions or recommendations. Melodie asked the Council to email her the input from the district members by Monday, November 6, 2000 to Wise.9@nd.edu. 
Melodie explained that this ad-hoc committee is exploring many ideas at this point. Sarah Misener mentioned to the Council that HP system programming and working with the OIT may be necessary in this redistricting discussion due to the nature of assigning new hires to a district, labels for the Council, ballots for the election process, etc. 
- Web Page Update 
Samantha Qualls shared with the Council that she has updated the web page. She has added some enhancements. Samantha passed out the sample of the web site. Samantha also noted that the Ad-Hoc Committee on Women=s Issues will still be able to update their website through the Staff Advisory Council page. 
StaffNews Article 
Melodie Wise asked the Council for any ideas for the December/January StaffNews article. The Council suggested mentioning the retirement letter, a summary of Fr. Scully's visit with the Council, and the special Open Enrollment meeting. 
V. Meal Plans 
Deb Fox shared with the Council the reason meal plans were listed as a priority on the Council's priority list. She stated that a number of Council members felt that Food Services should look into the idea of offering food discounts to staff across campus. The Council asked Sarah Misener to contact Dave Prentkowski, Director, Food Services to have him come and discuss this issue at the December or January Council meeting. Sarah Misener stated she would contact Dave Prentkowski. 
VI. Set the Agenda for the Thursday, November 16, 2000 Council meeting 
The Executive Committee will create the agenda for the November meeting. 
I. Fr. Timothy Scully, Executive Vice President, Visit 
II. Set the Agenda for the December 14, 2000 Council Meeting 
Pam Jobin made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 2:33 p.m. Rita Grontkowski seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
Promotion Committee