December 2001

Staff Advisory Council 

Thursday, December 13, 2001 

Notre Dame Room, LaFortune Student Center 
1 p.m. to 3 p.m. 
Present: Kimberly Ault, Debra Bennett, Norma Frost, Deb Fox, Rita Grontkowski, Fred Kraus, Stephanie Maenhout, Bobbi McMahon, Dee Muzarek, Nancy Mitchell, Jane Nielson, Marv Pruett, Samantha Quails, John Saylor, Valerie Schroeder, Kathy Stopczynski, Leona Strickland, Cyndi Sykes, Holly Webb, Maria Wilk and Melodie Wise. 
Absent: Tricia Ford, Kay Herrity, Pam Jobin, Rick Kane, Karen Kirkpatrick, and Fred Sonneborn. 
HR Liaisons: Sarah Misener and Sue Prister. 
Melodie Wise, Chair began the meeting at 1:45 p.m. afier a holiday lunch was served. 
I. Approval of the Thursday, November 8, 2001 Council Minutes 
Samantha Qualls stated that Valerie Schroeder's name was spelled wrong. Leona Strickland made a motion to accept the Thursday, November 8, 2001 Council minutes with the change. Bobbi McMahon seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
II. Committee Reports 
-Promotion Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
Waiting for the redistricting before this committee proceeds. 
-Parking Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
-Parking Appeals Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
-Elections Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
-Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues 
Rita Grontkowski shared with the Council upcoming events: 
January 9, 2002 - St. Joseph Emergency Planning ("Lunch & Learn") 
February, 2002 (date to be determined) (Lecture Series) 
March 13, 2002 - the Spring Women's Fair will be held in LaFortune Center during the week of spring break 
April, 2002 (date to be determined) - Spring Planting ("Lunch & Learn") 
-Ad-Hoc Committee on Drug Testing 
Sarah Misener stated that the committee would have a report in January. 
-Ad-Hoc Redistricting Committee 
Melodie Wise passed out a draft of the redistricting report that this ad-hoc committee had put together. Many questions were asked of the ad-hoc committee regarding various districts. After a brief discussion Sarah Misener commented that the document distributed was a draft and some changes discussed at a recent sub committee meeting were not yet added to the draft. The reason for sharing the document in a draft version was to present the redistricting concept and rationale for discussion and feedback so the committee could go forward with refining the draft for presentation at the January 15 Council meeting. 
-Web Page Update 
Nothing to report at this time. 
-StaffNews Article 
Melodie Wise shared with the council that the last StaffNews looked great. Kathy Stopczynski said that Council minutes would be in the next issue. 
III. Shuttle Bus Discussion 
Doug Marsh wanted the subcommittee to meet with a traffic and parking consultant group. Because of a schedule change this meeting will be scheduled for January. 
IV. Absenteeism at Council Meetings 
Deb Fox opened the discussion by sharing the importance of attendance at Council meetings. It is critical to have a good number of members present for several reasons including voting purposes. Deb went on to say that it is hard to get away but it is important. The suggestion was made that if a person knows they will not be able to attend meetings they should not run for Council membership. Deb Bennett added that if you tell someone that you will not be able to attend it is an excused absence. Maria Wilk shared with the Council how hard it is for Food Service members to get to meetings. The question was asked as to whether or not Human Resources could intervene with supervisors. Sarah Misener responded by saying that if a representative is having difficulty being released she would want to know so that barriers to attending meetings are resolved. 
V. Guests at the January, 2002 Council Meeting 
Melodie Wise suggested that Council members talk to people in their district to see if they would like to come to the January meeting as observers to see how things work and increase interest in the Council. Sarah Misener offered to send a memo to the supervisors of the guests asking that the guests be able to attend the meeting. Melodie added that it would be good if every Council member brought someone. 
VI. Miscellaneous Discussion 
Sarah Misener stated that a few meetings ago she asked for thoughts and ideas about the August 2001 Staff Appreciation Luncheon. Sarah went on to say that Human Resources is working on a proposal to revamp the current award program. Sarah gave a brief description of the proposed Irish Excellence Awards Program. Sarah's purpose in presenting this was to get thoughts from the Council before the final proposal. Discussion regarding the program followed. 
VII. Set the Agenda for the January 10, 2002 Council Meeting 
I. Approval of the Thursday, December 13, 2001 Council Minutes 
II. Committee Reports (including the Elections Committee) 
III. Shuttle and Parking Update 
IV. Redistricting 
V. Set the agenda for the February, 2002 Council Meeting 
Deb Fox made a motion to adjourn the Council meeting at 2:50 p.m. Deb Bennett seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
Promotion Committee