May 2001


Thursday, May 10, 2001 

Notre Dame Room, LaFortune Student Center 
Present: Kimberly Ault, Debra Bennett, Dona Coggins, Tricia Ford, Deb Fox, Rita Grontkowski, Kay Herrity, Rick Kane, Karen Kirkpatrick, Fred Kraus, Bobbi McMahon, Dee Milzarek, Maria Pozzi, Samantha Qualls, John Saylor, Valerie Schroeder, Kathy Stopczynski, Leona Strickland, Cyndi Sykes, Holly Webb, and Melodie Wise. 
Absent: Norma Frost, Pam Jobin, Wanda Lansford, Stephanie Maenhout, Nancy Mitchell, Jane Nielson, Marv Pruett, and Fred Sonneborn. 
HR Liaisons: Sarah Misener and Pam Zarazee. 
Guests: Bill Scholl, Assistant Athletic Director, Marketing 
Melodie Wise, Chair called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m. The Council had there photo taken. 
I. Approval of the Thursday, April 12, 2001 Council Minutes 
The Council thought it was important to add in the approximate weekly figures to operate the shuttle stated at the April meeting. Samantha Qualls made a motion to accept the Thursday, April 12, 2001 minutes with the above change. Valerie Schroeder seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
II. Committee Reports 
- Elections Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
- Executive Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
- Promotion Committee 
Melodie Wise shared with the Council that this committee met, and one idea discussed was in what way the Staff Advisory Council could have a presence at the President's Award and Recognition Luncheon held in August. 
The Committee recommended that a letter be drafted from Fr. Timothy Scully, C.S.C., Executive Vice President to all staff to emphasize the importance of the Council and its achievements. Sarah Misener will explore this and get back to the Council. This committee also discussed the idea of having an open meeting at the September meeting. The committee will explore the idea of an open meeting at length at the next meeting. 
- Parking Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
- Parking Appeals Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues 
Rita Grontkowski shared that Teresa Ghilarducci, Associate Professor, Economics will speak on May 24th at the North Dining Hall from 12 to 2 pm.   
Rita added that on June 16th the ad-hoc committee on women's issues will host a retreat at Fatima Retreat Center from 9 am to 6 pm. The cost is $20 per person and includes three meals. Flyers will be distributed in the next week. The person leading the retreat will be Chandra Johnson, Assistant to the President. The retreat will begin at 9:00 am with a continental breakfast. Guest speakers will be Ms. Karen Dupuis, Director of Memorial Center for Integrative Healing, speaking on "You Are What You Think You Are," and Ms. Chandra Johnson, Assistant to the President, speaking on "Listening To Your Inner Self: Do You Hear What We Hear?" Poetry reading group discussions and time for personal reflection will also be a part of the day. Dinner will be served at 5:00 pm, with a candle-lighting ceremony and departure at 6:00 pm. The Committee encourages women to attend who are interested in a spiritually reflective and self-affirming experience. Deadline for reservations is June 8, 2001 and can be mailed to Marjorie Wosick in Room 217 Main Building. 
Rita shared with the Council that this ad-hoc committee held elections for executive committee members. The results were Rita Grontkowski, Chair; Bobbi McMahon, Vice-Chair; and Esther Murray, Secretary. 
Rita informed the Council that Nancy Mitchell resigned from this ad-hoc committee. Rita welcomed any Council member who would be interested in serving on this ad-hoc committee to contact her directly. 
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Drug Testing 
Nothing to report at this time. 
- Ad-Hoc Redistricting Committee 
This committee is in the beginning stages of analyzing the make-up of each district. The committee will be meeting again and report more at the next meeting. 
- Web Page Update 
Melodie Wise stated that the web page is currently up dated to include all the new committee members listed. 
- StaffNews Article 
Melodie Wise informed the Council that Kathy Stopczynski wrote an article and it will appear in the June StaffNews. 
III. Miscellaneous discussion 
Melodie Wise asked the Council if there are any changes to be made to the by-laws. The Council had no changes to recommend. 
Valerie Schroeder made a motion to accept the current by-laws with no new changes. Deb Bennett seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all Council members present were in favor of this motion. 
The Council discussed the parking lot shuttle issue. The Council brainstormed questions they would like addressed. This information will be analyzed as the Council considers making a recommendation to University Administration on this shuttle service. The questions included: 
What is the specific cost to operate the shuttle per year? 
What is the usage on a daily basis/handicap, early morning, lunch, afternoon? 
How many shuttles are needed? 
What is the route taken? Is it possible to make a full loop versus a half loop? 
What are the hours of operation? 
What equipment is necessary (does it have to be a shuttle bus vs. oversized van)? 
What are future parking plans for campus? 
What other options has the University looked at with respect to parking and shuttle service? 
What happens at other large employers or universities? 
Is there a shuttle from St. Mary's, or from student housing? 
Has a bus pass or charging departments to cover the cost to operate the shuttle ever been explored? 
How has the University publicized the shuttle in the past? 
Would bus shelters be a possibility? 
How long does each route or loop take? 
What are contractual arrangements with current provider? 
Melodie Wise welcomed additional questions to be sent to the Executive Committee or to Pam Zarazee. Melodie Wise asked that the Council review the list at the next Council meeting. 
IV. Athletic Discussion 
Melodie Wise welcomed Bill Scholl, Assistant Athletic Director, Marketing to the Council. Bill thanked the Council for allowing him to meet with them. Bill explained to the Council that the focus of his position is to get crowds to attend athletic events. Bernard Muir, Associate Athletic Director, Student Welfare, is responsible for working with student athletes to assist student athletes with their time and schedules while here at Notre Dame. A specific pilot program that Bernard has launched is called Professors at Practice. This program is targeted to bridge the gap between faculty and student athletes and have the faculty see first hand what a student athlete goes through at a practice. It is a way for the Athletic department to also work closer with the faculty here on campus. This pilot program was not intended to promote programs, but again to allow student athletes direct contact in their environment with faculty. Bill stated that the success of this pilot program has opened a door to explore a similar program involving staff. Such a program, however, will be logistically complex and would take time to implement across all staff areas. 
Bill invited the Council to ask questions, and thanked them for their feedback. 
III. Miscellaneous Continued… 
A Council member asked about the new posting process in the Department of Human Resources. Sarah Misener stated that she will follow-up and if the Council is interested would invite Karen Kirby, Manager, Employment and Affirmative Action to a future meeting to update the Council on this process. 
A Council member shared a concern about possible future plans on the recognition of employees with less than 25 years of service. Sarah Misener explained first of all, that no decisions have been made. However, service recognition at levels less than 25 years could be handled in a different way. In addition, Sarah stated that if revisions occurred, a recognition policy would have to be developed. Sarah reassured the Council that there will be other forms of recognition to honor those staff with less than 25 years of service. 
A Council member asked if the matrix will be in place for the July 1st increases. Sarah Misener explained to the Council that the matrix is no longer in existence. In addition, the zones will be eliminated. The compensation statement will give a range including the minimum, market, and maximum. Increases in salaries from this point forward are based on performance for all nonexempt and exempt staff. Rita Winsor, Director, Benefits and Compensation is currently in the process of drafting a brief summary for supervisors on the salary increase program. Sarah explained that it is Human Resources role to inform managers on the process, and they then will make decisions on increase amounts, and communicate this information to their employees. The University approved a 2.9 percent structure increase and an additional 1.5 percent incremental amount that departments can allocate based on performance. 
Sarah Misener updated the Council on the Watson-Wyatt study. She stated that Rich Nugent and Watson Wyatt had met with Fr. Timothy Scully, C.S.C., Executive Vice President on findings from the study and that the project is currently on hold until the new Associate Vice President of Human Resources is in place. 
A Council member asked if University Administration has had any further discussion on the possibilities of changing the July 1st date as the driver for certain benefit eligibility, to an anniversary date for its employees. Sarah Misener stated that this could still be considered, however, limitations due to our current HRIS (human resource information system) are still a factor. Regarding the current HRIS, it has been analyzed and decisions will be made to amend it to accommodate the University's current needs. 
A Council member asked why vacation checks are no longer given in advance and if any communication was disseminated on this change. Sarah Misener stated that she would look into the issue and get back with the Council. 
Melodie Wise passed out the draft of the Annual Report and will have the Council vote on it at the next meeting. 
V. Set the agenda for the June 14, 2001 meeting 
I. Rich Nugent, Assistant Vice President for Human Resources 
II. Approval of the Thursday, May 10, 2001 Council meeting 
III. Committee Reports 
-Promotion Committee 
-Parking Committee 
-Parking Appeals Committee 
-Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues 
-Ad-Hoc Committee on Drug Testing 
-Ad-Hoc Committee on Redistricting 
IV. Review Shuttle Questions 
V. Vote on the Staff Advisory Council Annual Report 
VI. Miscellaneous Discussion 
VII. Set the agenda for the July 12, 2001 Council meeting. 
Deb Bennett made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 2:55 p.m. Bobbi McMahon seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
Promotions Committee