November 2002

Staff Advisory Council 

Thursday, November 14, 2002 

Notre Dame Room, LaFortune Student Center 
1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. 
Present: Martha Sue Abbott, Kimberly Ault, Debra Bennett, Amy Dorn, Tricia Ford, Jim Gloster, Paula Horne, Susan McGonigal, Bobbi McMahon, Nancy Mitchell, JoAnn Norris, Marv Pruett, Samantha Qualls, Diane Schlatterbeck, Jimi Sholty, Fred Sonneborn, Kathy Stopczynski, Holly Webb, Melodie Wise 
Absent: Becky Debruyn, Stephanie Maenhout, Dee Milzarek, Jane Nielson, Maria Wilk 
HR Liaisons: Sarah Misener, Kathy Fischer 
Melodie Wise, Chair called the meeting to order at 1:10 p.m. 
I. Approval of the October 17, 2002 Council Meeting Minutes 
A motion was made by Tricia Ford to accept the minutes and seconded by Marv Pruett. It was passed with a unanimous vote. 
II. Parking Survey - Doug Marsh 
Doug Marsh explained that the Parking Committee is in the process of determining what percentage, if any, of the existing parking lots will be designated as "reserved" parking by means of a campus-wide survey. Employees will be charged $25 for vehicle registration. Those who would like to reserve a spot in designated areas of certain lots will be charged $250. Reserved spots will be honored from 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., after which time anyone may park in those areas. 
Doug asked the SAC members if there were any questions or concerns regarding the parking policy. A number of questions/comments were made. Safety and security concerns as an issue for those who might have to park off campus were expressed and Doug explained that there aren't plans for staff and faculty to park beyond the existing campus. He indicated that a number of details associated with new parking regulations had yet to be decided, such as whether employees would be issued hang tags or window stickers; whether employees who use their own vehicle for work-related driving would be required to pay the $25 registration fee; how many spots in the designated lots would be reserved; and how off-shift employee parking would be handled relating to the reserved sections of lots. 
Suggested information to be gathered in the survey included: hours of work, work location, number of cars driven onto campus by employee and frequency, interest in paying for a $250 reserved spot; and interest in riding the shuttle. 
Doug indicated that there was still a good deal of work to be done on the parking situation and he thanked the SAC for their helpful input. He was asked to return to SAC once the survey had been conducted to discuss results obtained. 
III. Committee Reports 
Promotion Committee 
Tricia Ford reported that the badges were sent via campus mail to all new members. Some people did not receive theirs. Tricia will check with Central Receiving as to where they might be. However, she will order new ones and have those delivered to all members. Due to a heavy workload, Tricia would like to step down as Chair of the Promotion Committee although she will remain on the committee. She will set a time and location for the next meeting. 
Parking Appeals 
Samantha Qualls reported that the Parking Appeals Committee is now fully appointed as follows: 2 faculty members, 1 staff member, 1 undergraduate student, 1 graduate student, and Samantha. The question was raised as to what the turn around time for an appeal is. The committee meets on a weekly basis and once an appeal has been reviewed, a notice of the committee's decision is sent out within 2 days. 
Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues 
Bobbi McMahon inquired about the policy of advertising various campus functions via e-mail. The Women's Issues Committee was told that advertising of their functions was not permitted through e-mail. However, it was noted that the Singles' Group recently sent an e-mail notifying the campus of an upcoming event. Sarah Misener will look into this policy. 
By-Laws Committee 
Due to the length of discussion regarding parking, this committee report was deferred to the next meeting. 
Web Page 
Due to the length of discussion regarding parking, this committee report was deferred to the next meeting. 
Elections Committee 
Melanie announced that JoAnn Norris's district is now District 30. This creates an open position for District 25 and an election will be held. JoAnn requested a list of the constituents in District 30. Tricia Ford also requested an updated constituent list for her District 27. Sarah Misener and Kathy Fischer will review and provide updated district listings containing constituent names for the Council. 
Parking and Shuttle Committee 
Due to the length of discussion regarding parking, this committee report was deferred to the next meeting. 
Staff News 
Due to the length of discussion regarding parking, this committee report was deferred to the next meeting. 
Prioritized Issues List Discussion 
Due to the length of discussion regarding parking, this committee report was deferred to the next meeting. 
Miscellaneous Discussion 
Kathy Stopczynski voiced a concern that Laundry is not adequately represented. It was pointed out that Laundry and Landscaping are together in one district, but after further discussion, it was suggested that these two areas should be separate. 
IV. Set the Agenda for the December 9, 2002 Council Meeting 
I. Approval of the November 14, 2002 Council Minutes 
II. Committee Reports 
- Promotions Committee 
- Parking and Shuttle Committee 
- Parking Appeals Committee 
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues 
- By-Laws Committee 
- Web Page Article 
- StaffNews Article 
- Elections Committee 
III. Visit from Rev. Timothy Scully, CSC 
IV. Set Agenda for January, 2003 Council Meeting 
A motion was made by Amy Dorn to adjourn the Council meeting at 3:00. Jimi Sholty seconded the motion. All present Council members voted to accept the motion. 
Respectfully Submitted, 
Staff Advisory Council