April 2004

Staff Advisory Council

Thursday, April 8, 2004

1:00 – 3:00 p.m., Notre Dame Room, LaFortune 
Present: Don Anglin, Julann Bauer, Dawn Bell, Karen Casey, Becky DeBruyn, Jim Gloster, Jennifer Ihns, Barbara Klowetter, Sharon Konopka, Stephanie Maenhout, Angela Miller McGraw, Kathy Stopczynski, Troy Webb, and Lisa Yates.
Absent (Excused): Bettye Bielejewski, Lisa Buckland, Maryellen Fetherolf, Sharon Harwell, Annette Klimek, Susan McGonigal, Roberta McMahon, Jane Nielson, Terry Oxender, Joy Schosker, Irene Stines, and Tony Williams
Absent (Not Excused): Terrell Ward-Thomas, and Holly Webb.
HR Liaisons: Sue Prister and John Whelan.
I. Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Stephanie Maenhout at 1:05 p.m. 
II. Approval of the March 18, 2004 Council Minutes
A recommendation was made to accept the minutes. A motion was made by Becky DeBruyn and seconded by Barbara Klowetter to approve the March 18, 2004 minutes. The minutes were unanimously approved.
III. Committee Reports
Promotions Committee: Stephanie Maenhout handed out district constituent lists arranged by building. Stephanie stated that if all the members were satisfied with the lists that the orange postcards could be sent out. Some representatives indicated that their list were accurate, there were some changes on others. Stephanie agreed to make the changes and send Council members updated email constituent lists and labels for the orange cards. A date would be specified for mailing of the cards insuring all pieces go out at the same time.
After a discussion took place regarding the absence of a SAC representative for Legends Council members decided to assign Legend’s constituents to Irene Stines who is the SAC representative for LaFortune Student Center. This decision was based on the location of the mailboxes of Legend’s constituents which is also in LaFortune. Stephanie said she would relay this information to Irene.
Parking Appeals Committee: Stephanie Maenhout gave no report but indicated that this committee continues to meet regularly.
Ad hoc Committee on Women’s Issues: No report was given.
Web Page: Stephanie Maenhout reported that Sharon Harwell has updated the SAC website and asked representatives to submit any changes to Sharon.
Other: A discussion took place regarding employment postings and eligibility. Representatives expressed areas of concern with some departments’ hiring practices. John Whelan stated that the employment review, conducted by Human Resources, will set specific guidelines for departments and departments are expected to follow these guidelines. Human Resources realizes that there will be gaps. As the process is implemented HR will close the gaps and hold everyone to the requirements. Human Resources goal is to have campus departments 100% compliant with the employment process. John went on to say that he would make Sarah Misener aware of the Council’s concerns. A suggestion was made to invite Sarah to a SAC meeting after the review is complete.
IV. Review Goals for 2004
Presentations: Stephanie Maenhout told the Council about a conversation with John Whelan in which several ideas for future speakers for SAC meetings were discussed. Stephanie proceeded to share the ideas; John Sejdinaj, to discuss the operating budget, Scott Malpass to discuss the endowment, Doug Marsh, to discuss the 10 year plan, Sarah Misener, to discuss the employment review, the Fish Presentation, which John explained was based on a book about making the workplace more productive, and a demonstration of the EAP Lifeworks website by Jessica Brookshire.
Professional Development: Discussion postponed to next meeting.
Reward Systems: A discussion took place in which representatives shared various ways they recognize employees in their departments. Stephanie asked the group if they thought that more departments would recognize employees if SAC made suggestions in the form of guidelines to share with departments. It was decided to get suggestions together to give to HR and see what can be done with them. John Whelan stated that HR could play a role in this initiative but he encouraged SAC to make suggestions to managers directly which might have more of an impact. 
V. Open Discussion
Don Anglin directed a question to John Whelan asking if payroll deduction was a possibility for payment for football tickets. John stated that possibly working with the local banks to set up a form of direct deposit may be an option to look into.
VI. Adjournment
With no further business to come before the Council, motion to adjourn was made by Don Anglin and seconded by Barbara Klowetter, and unanimously approved. The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.
Respectfully submitted,
Sue Prister, Recorder