May 2008


Staff Advisory Council

Thursday, May 8, 2008

1:00 – 3:00 p.m.

Notre Dame Room, Lafortune Center

Present:          Julie DeBuysser, Mo Marnocha, Penny McIntire, Andrew Mason, Shari Herman, Amie Davis, Eric McCartney, Sandy Sarber, Marie Revak, Patricia Smith, Frederick Sonneborn, Diana Singleton, Victoria Chidister, Kathy Stopczynski, , Char-anna Koblick, Joe Wheeler, Kathy Troth, Barb Wadley

Excused:         Sharon Konopka

Unexcused:    Laura Gerber, John Mackowicz, Janice Owens, Adele Almaguer

HR Liaison:   John Whelan

I.                   Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:05 p.m. by Patty Smith.


II.                Approval of April, 2008 Council Minutes

Andy Mason made a motion to approve the minutes with suggested changes, and Penny McIntire seconded. 


III.             Committee Reviews

Benefits Committee

            No news.


By-laws Committee

No news.

Parking Appeals

No news.


Election Committee

No news.


Promotions Committee

Relay for Life went well.  $277 was raised from the Hacienda benefit.  SAC has raised over $700 total for Relay.


            No news.

Webpage Committee

Sandy Sarber will help with the website.  Amie Davis will also help.

Compassion Fund

$500 was approved for an employee after the Compassion Fund committee reviewed the request.

IV.       Additional Business

Vacation Accrual

Denise McEwen, Prudence Dorsey and Donna Brommeling spoke to SAC about their concerns with the current process for accruing vacation.

Their primary request was to change the vacation process so that employees would have a new bank at the beginning of each calendar year or at the anniversary hire date.

They expressed a concern that the current system makes it too difficult to plan vacations. 

They mentioned that they have a petition with 216 signatures of other employees from Notre Dame.

SAC said that the letter presented by Denise, Donna and Prudence needed to be modified for accuracy.  All three agreed that they would make the changes and send it to a SAC representative for SAC’s review.


Emergency contacts

A question was asked about how emergency contacts of employees get notified if an emergency actually occurs.


Employee Events at Lunch

A concern was raised that some events that are offered to all employees are not always convenient for some employees.  Could events be scheduled with various times so that most employees could attend?


Summer Concerts in July

A question came up about the summer concert series that took place in July over the past few years but that seems to have discontinued.  Joe Wheeler from Student Activities will look into this.


Speed Bumps

A question was raised about speed bumps on campus.  Patty Smith will contact Doug Marsh to get a status update.


V.        Adjournment

With no further topics to discuss, Mo Marnocha made a motion to adjourn at 2:39 p.m.  The motion was seconded by Shari Herman and passed.

Respectfully submitted,

Human Resources