September 2010

                                                                               Staff Advisory Council Minutes

Thursday, September 9, 2010  1:00 p.m.

LaFortune Student Center


Present:          Tami Springer, Barb Wadley, Marie Revak, Peggy Lant, Joe Negri, Sandy Sarber, Kathy Seymour, Char-anna Koblick, Kathy Troth, Adele Almaguer, Joe Wheeler, Jody Klontz, Shari Herman, Diana Singleton, Bill Peck, Patty Smith, Roxie Litteral


Unexcused:     Fred Sonneborn

HR Liaison:   Lori Maurer


I.Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:04 p.m. by Patty Smith.  Lisa Turner was introduced as the new representative for District 1.


Approval of August 2010 Council Minutes

Minutes were approved - motion by Barb Wadley and 2nd by Char Koblick


II.Committee Updates


Elections Committee

Nothing to report


Benefits Committee

The Benefit budget proposal for next year went to the board of directors.  Some premium rates will increase.  Denise Murphy will review the information with SAC in October.


By-laws Committee

Nothing to report


Parking Appeals/Parking

There was no meeting this month.


Promotions Committee

There was great success getting the jean’s squares signed at the South Dining Hall.  The effort continues by bringing the squares to the area Catholic elementary schools.



Nothing to report


Webpage Committee

            No news


Compassion Fund

No news


III.Old Business

Jessica Brookshire sent an email with some follow up items on United Way including that 5% of the funds from Trivia Night will go to the Compassion Fund.  Jody Klontz agreed to chair a subcommittee of SAC members to design a logo recommendation for the Compassion Fund.


SAC received a response regarding a concern over the poor condition of the DPAC west parking lot.  The pot holes will be filled but because this lot is a site for a future building, it was not cost effective to re-pave at this time.


IV.New Business

Josh Berlo, Sr. Assistant Athletic Director, attended SAC to answer questions about staff football tickets.  Josh stated that credit card payments have not been accepted for football tickets due to the cost associated with doing so.  The University would have to pay the credit card company 2-4% for the transaction.  In response to the possibility of using a payroll deduction he stated that Payroll Services has significant concerns due to logistics and liability.  Josh also responded to a question about the additional $20 charge explaining that this covers the cost of printing and shipping the tickets.


Chair, Patty Smith, attended a meeting to represent SAC on a campus wide food drive effort.  The group will be working with the Northern Indiana Food Bank.  SAC was in favor of supporting this effort.


A SAC member noted that 23 vehicles were broken into in one of the ND parking lots. A question was raised as to why NDSP did not issue a crime alert.  Jeff Korros of NDSP will be contacted for a response.


The logistics of the Team Irish Award day was discussed.  A sign up sheet was sent around for the events.



Motion to adjourn at 2:45 by Sherry Herman and 2nd by Kathy Troth