September 2001


Staff Advisory Council 

Thursday, September 13, 2001 

Notre Dame Room, LaFortune Student Center 
1 p.m. to 3 p.m. 
Present: Kimberly Ault, Debra Bennett, Norma Frost, Rita Grontkowski, Kay Herrity, Pam Jobin, Karen Kirkpatrick, Stephanie Maenhout, Bobbi McMahon, Jane Nielson, Maria Pozzi, Marv Pruett, Samantha Qualls, John Saylor,   Valerie Schroeder, Kathy Stopczynski, Leona Strickland, Cyndi Sykes, Holly Webb, and Melodie Wise. 
Absent: Dona Coggins, Tricia Ford, Deb Fox, Rick Kane, Wanda Lansford, Dee Milzarek, Nancy Mitchell, and Fred Sonneborn. 
HR Liaisons: Sarah Misener and Pam Zarazee. 
Melodie Wise, Chair began the meeting at 1:02 p.m. 
I. Approval of the Thursday, August 9, 2001 Council Minutes 
Valerie Schroeder made a motion to accept the Thursday, August 9, 2001 Council minutes. Holly Webb seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
II. Committee Reports 
-Promotion Committee 
The Committee has met and will be giving more information on what was discussed at the October meeting. 
-Parking Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
-Parking Appeals Committee 
Nothing to report at this time. 
-Elections Committee 
Melodie Wise explained to the Council that an election is being planned for 
District #28, since Dona Coggins has resigned from the Council. Pam Zarazee has provided the labels for District #28 to the Elections Committee. 
-Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues 
Rita Grontkowski shared with the Council that a "Lunch and Learn" program featuring a presentation by two University chefs on cooking was held on August 16th and a good turnout was shown. Rita also shared with the Council that the October "Lunch and Learn" program will be a tour of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart on October 24th from 1- 2 p.m. 
In addition, Rita announced that Chandra Johnson, Assistant to the President, will be speaking on Monday, November 15th in the South Dining Hall, Hospitality Room for the Tribute to Women Series. 
Rita shared with the Council that the Spring Women's Fair will be held on March 13, 2002 during the week of spring break. 
Rita explained that there is a vacancy on the Ad-Hoc Committee on Women's Issues for a Council member. This ad-hoc committee meets on Wednesday of the week preceding the regular Council meeting from 1 - 2 p.m. If you are interested in serving on this ad-hoc committee, please contact Rita or Melodie. 
-Ad-Hoc Committee on Drug Testing 
Sarah Misener stated that Bob Foldesi, Associate Vice President for Human Resources, and Carol Kaesebier, Vice President and General Counsel, have revised for their review, a draft recommendation from the committee. If a discussion is necessary after this review it will take place, if not, the proposal will then be submitted to University Administration. 
-Ad-Hoc Redistricting Committee 
Melodie Wise told the Council that this ad-hoc committee has met and will continue to meet over the next few months to be able to present, to the Council, a recommendation on redistricting. 
-Web Page Update 
Samantha Qualls stated the web page is updated and going well. 
-StaffNews Article 
Kathy Stopczynski reported that there will not be an article for the October 
StaffNews. Going forward it was noted that an article or information will be 
provided when meetings are held more than three weeks a part. 
III. Shuttle Bus Discussion 
Melodie Wise explained to the Council that Executive Committee members Cindy Sykes and Melodie Wise met with Dave Harr, Assistant Vice President, Auxillary Services, Phil Johnson, Assistant Director, Security/Police, and Sarah Misener, Director, Employee Relations and Training & Development. Deb Fox, Vice President and Executive Committee member, was unable to attend. The meeting included discussing the list of questions gathered by the Council. The Executive Committee was informed that the University has hired a traffic and parking consultant group to research the current issues on campus and forward information to the consulting group working on the University's master plan. It was recommended that the Council create an ad-hoc committee to define the issues surrounding parking and transportation issues that staff are currently facing. 
Kathy Stopczynski made a motion to develop an ad-hoc committee to meet and develop the issues staff are currently facing with parking and the shuttle. Norma Frost seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
Melodie Wise asked for volunteers to serve on this committee. The Council members who volunteered include Kay Herrity, Norma Frost, Kathy Stopczynski, and Stephanie Maenhout. 
IV. Discussion on Presidential Awards and Staff Appreciation Luncheon 
Melodie Wise opened the floor for discussion on this topic. The overall comments were that the Presidential Awards and Staff Appreciation Luncheon was very well received by the staff in attendance. Suggestions for the future of this event included: having the Council recognized at the event, reviewing the menu choices with the thought to try something new, look at alternatives for the time of year the lunch is held, improved communication of the criteria necessary to be nominated for a Presidential award, and allow time for staff to mingle. Sarah Misener shared the results of the survey from this event. Sarah indicated that about 1,900 staff attended. 
                                  Fair       Good      Excellent     Poor      Very Good 
Overall Lunch            123         511           536           5              2 
Menu                        171         435            591         13              4 
Time of Year             183         489                           16 
                                                        Yes           No             No Preference 
Would you like the Presidential 
Awards presented in this way in 
the future?                                        879             219               7 
                                                        Picnic         Lunch             Both 
Which do you prefer as an employee 
appreciation event?                              418              689             26 
The Council responded to a question Sarah asked them for input on. Would you like to see more awards given at the lunch? The Council responded that more awards would be nice. Sarah shared with the Council that criteria to earn a Presidential Award are: 
· Approximately ten years of service 
· Exceptional performance 
· Contribution to the goals of their department 
· Citizenship and volunteerism within the community/campus 
· Serve as an example or role model to other employees 
Sarah thanked the Council for their input and stated that she will be asking the Council for their input when planning begins for next year's event. 
V. Absenteeism at Council Meetings 
Melodie Wise opened the discussion on this with the Council. It was decided that the Executive Council would review the attendance records of current Council members and contact those individuals to explore the reasons why they have not been attending. Melodie Wise stated that Jane Nielson would be allowed to have an alternate sit on the Council while she is out on a temporary leave. 
VI. Miscellaneous Discussion 
Sarah Misener shared with the Council that Pam Zarazee would temporarily be serving a new role in the Department of Human Resources. This role will include working on several projects for the department such as introducing a new website, reviewing work processes to improve efficiency, as well as work on self-serve options with forms for the campus. Due to this opportunity for Pam, Sue Prister will begin taking the minutes for the Council starting at it's October 25th meeting. The Council supported this decision. 
Sarah Misener explained to the Council that the Department of Human Resources met with Watson Wyatt who completed the Total Rewards and Recognition Study earlier this year. The meeting involved reviewing the study and deciding what options make sense to the campus and which do not with regard to benefits and compensation. Denise Murphy, Manger, Benefits is working to pull together all the information needed for Open Enrollment for Benefits. Sarah told the Council that open enrollment materials would look different this year. The packets of information will be reduced in size, especially for those staff who have web access. For those staff who do not have access to the web, their open enrollment packets will be slightly larger. Sarah will invite Denise Murphy, Manager of Benefits, to the October 25th meeting for a benefits enrollment overview. 
A Council member asked Sarah Misener if the University would ever look at offering life insurance to spouses. Sarah stated that this suggestion is under discussion. 
A Council member asked Sarah Misener about the pay issue surrounding Tuesday, September 11th "Day of Prayer". Sarah told the Council that the University is gathering data on this issue and will make a fair decision on how to handle. 
VII. Set the Agenda for the October 25, 2001 Council Meeting 
I. Approval of the Thursday, September 13, 2001 Council Minutes 
II. Committee Reports (including the Elections Committee) 
III. Shuttle and Parking Update 
IV. Absenteeism Issue Discussion 
V. Open Enrollment Presentation 
VI. Set the agenda for the November 8, 2001 Council Meeting 
Leona Strickland made a motion to adjourn the Council meeting at 3:02 p.m. Samantha Qualls seconded this motion. A vote was taken and all present Council members were in favor of this motion. 
Promotion Committee