Staff Advisory Council Minutes
Thursday, December 10, 2009
1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
LaFortune Student Center
Present: Patricia Smith, Sandy Sarber, Char-anna Koblick, Barb Wadley, Jody Klontz, Victoria Chidister, Sharon Konopka, Shari Herman, Marie Revak, Penny McIntire, Bill Peck, Fred Sonneborn
Excused: Tami Springer, Mo Marnocha, Roxie Litteral, Diana Singleton, Kathy Stopczynski, Adele Almaguer, Kathy Troth
Unexcused: John Mackowicz
HR Liaison: Lori Maurer
I.Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 1:37 p.m. by Patty Smith.
Approval of November 2009 Council Minutes
Minutes were approved with one change - motion by Bill Peck and 2nd by Barb Wadley
Elections are not yet completed. District #14 and #16 had more than one nominee so ballots will be sent out in early January.
The concept of a short term disability benefit was raised to the committee and it will be placed on the agenda.
Nothing to report
The committee meets every two weeks to review appeals to parking tickets.
Hacienda Night will be held at the Portage Road location on December 14. SAC members are encouraged to advertise this to colleagues.
The committee met on December 2 to discuss the facilities. The next meeting is the first week in January where the committee members will tour the SMC and ND facilities. The committee is considering and researching all options for the future of ECDC.
Nothing to report.
There have been several requests from employees; mostly related to financial issues as a result of illness and no sick time available.
· There was a discussion on the concept of employees “donating” portions of their sick bank to fellow employees who do not have enough time to cover an illness. Patty will raise the question with Denise Murphy in Human Resources.
· Patty received a request from Dr. John Affleck-Graves regarding a SAC representative for a preferred, fee-based parking option committee. Shari Herman volunteered.
· The idea of a smoke free campus was discussed. Several questions came up about the campus smoking policy, especially regarding smoking close to buildings. Patty will follow up with Bob Zerr, Risk Management.
· It was announced that 27 Learning @ Work certificates were awarded to employees.
· Officer elections will be held in January--SAC members were urged to consider running for an office.
John Affleck-Graves, Gordon Wishon, OIT, and Sarah Misener, HR were present to review information about the recent security exposure that affected current and past employees. They reviewed the background of the situation and answered questions. John Affleck-Graves thanked Patty for reviewing the latest letter that provides a more detailed account of what happened and the types of preventative measures that are available.
Shari Herman made a motion to adjourn at 3:20 p.m. The motion was seconded by Marie Revak.